Coffee roasting manager
We are looking to hire one or two part-time managers for our coffee roasting business. Since our business will be open 7 days a week from 6 am to 6 pm, we are looking for a morning and an afternoon manager to help us on weekdays or on weekends.
Special education experience and/or working with people with disabilities is preferred but not required. In addition to managing the roasting team, the manager will also learn the roasting process. The manager position needs someone who has patience and determination to learn something new! Salary will be $15.00 an hour to start. Will be working in a fun and fast-paced environment!
POSITION TITLE: Manager
REPORTS TO: Owner
The purpose of the manager is to manage the employees and business, as well as roast and/or grind green bean coffee to fulfill customer orders. The manager learns the operation of all the equipment used in fulfilling our customer’s orders. This includes roasting, grinding, weighing and packaging the coffee. This is a part-time, shift position. The shifts vary from 5 to 6 hours in either the morning or afternoon between the hours of 6:00 am and 6:00 pm, 7 days a week.
- Learning all aspects of the coffee roasting process
- Roasting coffee beans and creating blends of different kinds of coffee
- Running the coffee grinder to prepare the grind type the customer wants
- Weighing the whole beans or ground coffee to package them in one pound packages
- Labeling the packages appropriately
- Placing the orders in the appropriate places for final delivery to the customer
- Selling the coffee by using an iPad and Square to complete the transaction (although the roasting venue is not the primary retail venue for the coffee, there may be occasions when customers will visit the roasting venue and purchase the coffee)
- Perform other duties as required, such as cleaning the roaster before and after the roasting process and keeping the work area clean
- Solving problems as the arise, not only with the equipment but also with the people
RELATIONSHIPS: The manager position is an internal position. The manager will interact almost entirely with the owner of the business as well as the employees of the production facility. There may be an occasion when the manager will interact directly with customers in fulfilling their order.
SUPERVISION: The manager will supervise the coffee roaster position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Working with people with disabilities
- Operating equipment
- Weighing items to the pound level
- Cleaning equipment
- Able to understand and follow directions
- Know how to use an iPad
- Prior experience is not required, but is preferred
- Able to lead others
- Willing to learn new things
- Able to communicate with the owner and other employees
- A people person
- A problem-solver
- A teacher or trainer
PROGRESSION: This position does not necessarily prepare the incumbent for a specific position of increased responsibility.
Frequent sitting, talking, listening, hearing, speaking and mental concentration necessary; use of hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms; specific vision requirements include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to communicate and be understood clearly. May be required to lift or move packages, containers or supplies of up to 15 pounds.
(This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee. It is used as a guide for personnel actions and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.)
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed. The essential functions or duties listed above are intended only as illustration of the various types of work that may be performed and are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Physical requirements of the position are listed below.
FREQUENCY RATING: Frequently – 33 to 65% of time
SECTION 1. PHYSICAL ACTIVITY OF THIS POSITION
- Climbing, balancing. Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Bodily agility is emphasized. Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling and walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slipper, or erratically moving surfaces. O Rarely
- Stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling. Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist. Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees. Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine. Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet. O Occasionally
- Reaching. Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. O Frequently
- Standing. Particularly for sustained period of time.O Frequently
- Walking. Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another. O Frequently
- Pushing, pulling, lifting, and carrying. Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward. Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion. Raising objects from a lower to higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. O Frequently
O Distance in feet _10-20____ O Weight in pounds _20-30____
- Fingering, grasping, feeling. Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling. Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips. O Frequently
- Talking, hearing. Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other employees accurately, loudly, or quickly. Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound. O Frequently
- Sitting. With torso vertical, lower body resting with support. O Occasionally
- Repetitive motion. Substantial movements of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. O Frequently
SECTION 2. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
- Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the employee sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.